Maine Could Become the next Constitutional Carry State

There is good news to report in the Pine Tree State.  Senator Eric Brakey (R-Androscoggin) has introduced a constitutional carry bill in the state legislature, and it’s off to a fast start — having already garnered almost 100 sponsors!

If enacted, LD 652/SP 245 would make Maine the seventh “constitutional carry” state in the country. 

The concept of “constitutional carry” is simple:  An individual’s ability to exercise his or her Second Amendment rights shouldn’t depend on a “permit” from the government. 

You don’t need a government license to write a book.  So why should you have to get the government’s okay in order to carry a firearm to protect yourself and your family? 

Currently, Americans in Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming, Arizona, Arkansas, and most of Montana can carry a firearm without a government license.  Lest anyone fail to notice, these are not exactly high-crime areas as a result of their diligence for the constitutional rights of their citizens.  In fact, these are some of the safest places in America. 

LD 652/SP 245 would add Maine to that illustrious list of Constitution-loving states. 

Make no mistake about it.  Under LD 652/SP 245, if a criminal carried a gun in connection with a crime, he has committed a crime and is going to prison. 

But that’s just the point:  If law enforcement is allowed to focus on the “bad guys,” rather than the enforcement of silly counter-productive, unconstitutional nitpicking, crime will go down. 

Crime will also go down if criminals have to consider the possibility that their victims could be armed and could shoot back. It’s no surprise that the “dog that didn’t bark” — the mass murders that were planned but never occurred — happened in places like the Appalachian School of Law or Pearl High School in Mississippi.  In these places, citizens with guns stopped horrific crimes. 

Maine could soon join the list of states where people are allowed to exercise their constitutional rights to protect themselves without asking “May I?” from the government.

ACTION:  Urge your state representative and senator to cosponsor and support LD 652/SP 245 without any limiting amendments.  By using this link here, you can use a pre-written to contact your legislators.