- Created: Thursday, 24 May 2001
- Written by Administrator
Senators McCain & Lieberman Introduce Anti-gun Monstrosity
Gun Owners of America E-Mail/FAX Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
"The GOA's e-mail and fax grassroots network has become extremely effective. GOA was the most important organization behind the failure in the last two Congresses of Senator Orrin Hatch's [gun control] bill to federalize much of the juvenile justice system." -- Dave Kopel, National Review online, May 15, 2001
ACTION: Hats off to you guys for your activism! You are the reason that gun control has stalled during the last four years -- witness the quote above. And once again, it is imperative that you contact your legislators. Call your Senators toll-free at 1-877-762-8762 and ask them to OPPOSE the recently introduced McCain-Lieberman bill, S. 890. Or hit the GOA Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send a pre-written message.
(Wednesday, May 23, 2001) -- Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Joe Lieberman (D-CT) have created quite a buzz in the media recently. The two Senators have combined to sponsor a "bipartisan" bill to further restrict the Second Amendment rights of all Americans.
The bill they are sponsoring is S. 890, the so-called "Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001." In reality, the "loophole" they want to close is the noose that gun banners are applying to the necks of free Americans. This McCain-Lieberman bill would not only impose a new gun ban, it could effectively put an end to gun shows altogether.
Saying Goodbye to Gun Shows?
* The bill would allow the feds to imprison gun show promoters and sponsors for up to five years for failing to notify EVERY gun show attendee of his or her responsibilities under the Brady Act. With that "sword of Damocles" hanging over their heads, it would be quite surprising if there are many people who would still be willing to take the risk of putting on any gun shows.
* S. 890 would also impose a mountain of new regulations and requirements upon most gun show promoters and vendors. As stated by Alan Korwin, the noted author of Gun Laws of America, this bill would force gun vendors AND non-gun vendors alike to be registered in a centralized federal data base. Even people who only want to sell books at a gun show will have to "pre-register and prove who [they are], or face arrest."
Strangling the Second Amendment
Some brave gun show promoters and vendors might still be willing to run the gauntlet and navigate their way through the McCain-Lieberman maze of regulations. But make no mistake about it, there will be some dramatic changes at guns shows after these two men get through tampering with our freedoms:
* Private sales of firearms will be banned! -- unless gun buyers agree to submit to background registration checks. Those of you who have frequented gun shows in hopes of never being registered as a gun owner would now go to jail if you bought or sold a private firearm without first getting the FBI's blessing on the transaction.
* And say "hello" to the return of the waiting period! S. 890 requires a wait of up to three business days -- which on a weekend like the Memorial Day holiday would translate into 6 calendar days -- for gun show transactions. This waiting period could only be averted if state authorities can, after three years, make the impossible assertion that they have computerized 95% of prohibited persons records (including all records relating to illegal aliens and mental institution commitments).
----- Pre-written Message -----
Dear Senator _____________,
The details of the much-hyped McCain-Lieberman gun show bill have now become known with the introduction of S. 890.
And the devil of pure gun control is alive and well in those details. Gun shows will be held less and less often -- and may disappear altogether -- as promoters become unwilling to navigate the maze of unconstitutional requirements the bill imposes.
Even private citizens are targets under S. 890.
I strongly urge you to OPPOSE S. 890 in every possible manner, and ask that you let me know what you intend to do regarding this anti-gun monstrosity.
Larry Pratt will be speaking several times at a Memorial Day weekend conference sponsored by the Information Radio Network that carries Live Fire, Larry's weekly one-hour talk show -- visit http://www.gunowners.org/radio.htm for Live Fire information and archived shows.
For conference details, see: http://www.inforadionet.com/conferences/leader_conf/intro.html
Larry will speak on 1) why Christians should be involved in the political process; 2) effective political action to counter media bias; and, 3) a live radio show broadcast on Monday, May 28 from the conference center (the show, called Unraveling the New World Order, is hosted by network founder Larry Bates).
The conference will be held in Keystone, CO, about 60 miles west of Denver in the Rocky Mountains. There will be time in the schedule to enjoy the location and spend time with the speakers in a casual setting.
Again, for conference details, see: