Gun Owners On Offense As Congress Reconvenes
Congress Reconvenes Next Week
— Time to Pick up a Self-Defense Pak and go on the offensive!
(Friday, January 21, 2000) — Gun owners have been on the defensive for long enough. So now that Congress is going back to work, it’s time for gun owners to get back to work as well.
Once again by popular demand, Gun Owners of America is offering activists the chance to get a variety of postcards that lets you “put the heat” on your legislators. Getting legislative cosponsors on pro-gun bills is one of the best ways to help push those bills through Congress. Why? Because bills with lots of cosponsors have the best chance of receiving a vote for passage.
Time and time again, GOA has shown that postcards flooding the desks of legislators can get them to cosponsor important pro-gun legislation that they might otherwise ignore. You can help get pro-gun cosponsors by getting these postcards into the hand of your friends, relatives and fellow gunnies (at gun shows, clubs, etc.). So use our toll free number or simply stop by the GOA website to order the Self-Defense Pak today (see instructions below).
What Postcards Come in the Self-Defense Pak?
When you order the Self-Defense Pak, you get three sets of postcards (a total of 50) that help advance your Second Amendment right to defend yourself with a firearm:
1. Citizen’s Self-Defense Act (H.R. 347). These postcards ask your Representative to cosponsor H.R. 347, the bill that will protect citizens who use a gun in self-defense from anti-gun prosecutors and judges, even if the gun was carried without a permit or possessed without a license. Bernie Goetz is, perhaps, the most famous example of someone who was acquitted for using his gun in self-defense, but still convicted for illegally carrying the firearm. H.R. 347 would protect citizens like Goetz by giving recourse in court if they are wronged by anti-gun or politically motivated prosecutors.
2. Concealed Carry Reciprocity (H.R. 407). You can always count on Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) to take the no-compromise approach in defending your gun rights. Of all the bills in Congress, H.R. 407 takes the greatest strides toward restoring the 2nd Amendment right to “bear” arms for ALL citizens. Other bills with similar goals don’t even come close. These postcards will create the grassroots demand for enacting real carry legislation allowing honest gun owners to carry their firearms across the country. Remember, your right to carry doesn’t evaporate at the state line!
3. Repeal of the Lautenberg Misdemeanor Gun Ban (H.R. 3444). Passed in 1996 as part of the omnibus spending bill, the Lautenberg ban disarms people for life — for offenses that include pushing, shoving or, in some cases, even yelling at a family member. The language of this lifetime gun ban is so expansive that unsuspecting parents have been disarmed for merely using legitimate corporal punishment. The Lautenberg ban is extremely dangerous as it, for the first time in history, revokes Americans’ Second Amendment gun rights for mere misdemeanors. Rep. Helen Chenoweth-Hage (R-ID) is the author of this repeal bill — a bill that would repeal the entire ban, unlike other proposals in Congress which only repeal the retroactive nature of the law.
ACTION: Call 1-800-417-1486 and simply choose option “4” to place your order for the postcards. Or go to http://www.gunowners.org/pcards.htm on the GOA website. But whether you’re using a phone or the web to place your order, make sure you ask for the legislative Self-Defense Pak. The Self-Defense Pak contains 50 postcards and includes a representative sampling of the three postcards above. The sliding price scale goes as follows:
* $6.00 for the first set of 50 postcards,
* $10.00 for two sets (100 postcards),
* $2.50 for each additional set of 50 postcards.
NOTE: Go to GOA website at http://www.gunowners.org/106costb.htm to see a current listing of those who have currently cosponsored the above bills. Also, if you are only interested in one or two of the bills mentioned above, you can order those individual postcard sets (in groups of 50). Finally, you might notice that the RSA certificate on the GOA secure server has expired — as has that of many others including giants like Amazon.com. The GOA server (and Amazon’s) is still completely secure.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/goa.htm to enter their online store.